Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Cherryblossom
New Contributor

Mum not well and feeling powerless

Hello I’m new to the forum and I’m glad there is something like this to try.
My mum is very unwell atm and refuses any medication and therapy. She actually doesn’t believe she has a problem. She has suffered a great deal of trauma in her life and long story short she recently moved but is having all sorts of issues where she is living as she doesn’t feel rules and regulations include her. She has been increasingly aggressive and agitated as well as hostile to the point she wants nothing to do with my sister and I. She has created yet another situation where she lives that the people around her want her out and are afraid. Police, avo’s etc have been entertained and she is sadly embarking down the legal action which she can not afford to stop the village from doing certain things regardless that to her benefit.
She won’t answer her phone or reply to texts.
My sister and I are feeling quite powerless as to how to support her and help her.
We are both over 40 have families of our own and we don’t even know what her diagnosis is or who her dr is as she refuses to tell you anything like that.
Does anyone have any feedback

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Mum not well and feeling powerless

Hi @Cherryblossom (my favourite scent is cherry blossom)

i just thought I’d right a few thoughts from someone who causes her parents and adult children stress at times through mi. This is just my thoughts but thought it might help to share. 

When im really unwell I shut out everyone I care about. In fact it makes it worse for me when they try to help. I feel more ashamed. My son noted just last night that he is learning it has to come from me. He has tried to force his thoughts on me before and they make things worse. I’m in a different situation in that I am being treated and my son can contact my therapist as can my parents. I can imagine your despair at feeling helpless and watching it all fall apart. Personally I think your mum wont accept help or change until she’s in a place that she wants to or has it forced onto her by authorities. I feel for you as it would be so hard and leaving you with feeling helpless. Others may have different thoughts and experiences but I thought I’d share mine. 

Wishing you and your families all the best. 

Re: Mum not well and feeling powerless

Thank you @Teej that was interesting that you express shame. I do suspect my mum too.
It’s just so difficult watching tragic events unfold right before your eyes when you know the situation doesn’t need to be like this and help us out there.
I really appreciate your thoughts
Thank you
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance