Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday// Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week 2022: 'See The Person'// Tues 27th September 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

It completely made sense by the time I arrived home.

Re: Topic Tuesday// Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week 2022: 'See The Person'// Tues 27th September 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

I haven’t yet had many instances of people being aware that I have BPD, which means I can’t really relate to the undoubtedly frustrating experience of the BPD diagnosis being seen ahead/instead of the individual. But I do find the ‘seeing’ aspect of the theme really relevant and important in a personal way. I struggle quite a lot with feelings of being invalidated or not being ‘heard’, so for the support and treatment I receive to be effective, it needs to ensure I feel ‘seen’ and understood in more than just a superficial way, otherwise it is difficult for me to engage with supports and get the help I need.

Next question: What’s happening for BPD Awareness week? How can I get involved? @BPDSurvivor @Alex_Spectrum 

If it's not off-track, I'd like to ask a question from a slightly different side of "See the person": I'm curious as to what leads people to seek treatment? Does there have to be a rock-bottom moment? In my case, the person I love doesn't seem to see herself or the harm that happens in so many forms of relationships in her life; whenever a 'breakthrough' seems close, there is such self-loathing that she loses sight of the person she is (and loses hope); but always very quickly then switches to attack mode (declaring there is no problem).

To be honest @puzzlingdino , I don't find many people know what BPD is! Some people think confuse it for bipolar. I wouldn't know what BPD was either if I didn't have it 🙂

Dealing with people is a trigger with me also, but not all people.

@puzzlingdino that sounds tough to feel like you are being invalidated or not heard. I think you make a great point about feeling seen and understood. I see this as being so important for any therapy to work. It's very hard to feel connected to someone who you don't feel is really trying to understand you. 

Thank you.

I hear you @AT67 .

Bottom line, change takes time. 

The cycle of change model helps us understand change:

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 8.17.00 pm.png

(Sorry, not the best picture)

Change can be scary. At any point, a person might jump off the cycle of change.

Perhaps it's about helping your loved one to stay on that cycle?

Have a little google and you'll be able to find definitions of each stage.

All the best.

What’s happening for BPD Awareness week? How can I get involved?

Here are some links the community can access to have a look and see how they get get involved for BPD Awareness Week:

bpdawareness.com.au/events-activities/

https://twitter.com/BPDAwarenessWK

https://www.instagram.com/bpdawarenessweek/

There is also a Facebook page you can search for BPD Awareness Week.