Skip to main content
Fractured24
New Contributor

I don't know where to start

My life is totally unrecognisable to what it was. I have a sever injury, bone and wound infection after being hit by a vehicle and landing in a trench full of sewage. It's been 7 weeks since the injury and I'm partly out of hospital but am visited by nurses each day in my brothers home (where I'm staying temporarily).

Everything about myself is gone.

I used to constantly travel for work. Gone.

The way I dress

Going for a surf

Going grocery shopping 

Holding my nieces for a hug when they're crying

Something as little as walking on the sand is impossible for me

Getting into a car is a nightmare

I can't do anything without help and i absolutely hate it. I was such an independent person before this - so independent that I have no one I can ask for help when I really need it now.

All of the things i would previously do to get myself out of a rut - I can't actually do anymore because of this injury. I didn't feel depressed in the inital aftermath of the accident. I was traumatised yes, but now it's pretty clear I'm depressed. My whole life is gone.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: I don't know where to start

Hi @Fractured24 

Thanks for sharing your story, and welcome to the forums.

Keeping you in my thoughts during this dark time. Be strong, and stay in contact with the forums.

We're all here for you. 

Hey @Fractured24,

That's a lot of change in such a short amount of time, I'm so sorry to hear you've had to deal with so much. I know it may feel like everything's changed and you mentioned you felt like you were losing yourself, and although it may be hard to believe me right now - but you will change again. You may not become your old self but instead, I think you'll find a new self who's conquered so much. You'll find joy in those activities again or maybe even new activities! 

It's scary now, not recognising yourself and feeling hopeless, but these feelings aren't permanent and with time, you'll find grow into your new self.

Taking things one small step at a time is what matters, I believe in you and I'm here for you 💗

Morning @Fractured24 

Geez I don't envy you one bit, that accident sounds awful.  Question will you make a full recovery?  If so, then this loss of independence will only be for a short while and better days will come.  Did the driver stop and if so will you be compensated for what has happened to you, you could focus your energies on getting the recompense that you deserve.  Yes, being stuck in bed and being incapacitated is crap, but focus on what you will do when you get better.  Set yourself some goals, you are in charge of your recovery and a positive attitude does work wonders on the mind and body.  I know you can do it, you are strong and resilient, let it shine...................Asgard

Whether I'll make a full recovery or not isn't a question the doctors can answer due to the seriousness of the infection, but they're more leaning on the side of no 😞
The driver did not stop and no one is aware of the identity of the driver.
Thank you for your positive words