Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Stigma// Tues 14 May, 7pm AEST

Thanks @Lauz 

self care - it depends on the situation. If I’m in crisis I always call my doctor or lifeline. But sometimes a walk down the beach helps or a play with my granddaughter. 

@Lauz I try everyday to think and act in ways that serve me well rather than focusing on lies that my mind is telling me. Cancel, clear, delete anything that doesn't serve me well.

Thank you for very kind words @oceangirl . I have had some not so great experiences in the past. 

@BlueBay  I gave up telling my diagnosis because it was too hard. Sometimes I think it’s easier to say things like I struggle with huge emotions, fear of abandonment etc. Once you describe how you are affected I think it gets easier. Having said that it has taken me years of experience and an understanding that I am not my diagnosis. I am a person first who happens to struggle with emotion regulation, anxiety and ? XYZ. It depends on the person as to what I’d say. I might mention to what degree I experience those symptoms (like self harm) or not. I think it helps people to understand that we are seeking help to overcome it but it is a long process. 

I personally chose to rise above all the neagtivity around me and just do what I had to do in my job. I then had to make a very big decision to move from where I had been for so long to get away from what had become a toxic environment. That was the best decision I could have made as it brought me to an environment where looking after our mental health is not just supported but celebrated. It has - for me - been a real turning point in my progression forward. Beeing able to have those conversations around what I need and having supportive people to actually ask 'how they can help' is something that has really changed my persepctive on what a supportive workplace can be.

@BlueBay I know it does. There's a huge difference in alone and lonely. Both hurt but both are temporary emotions. Always here!

Hi @Fracturedlight 

I notice that you are a fairly new contributer here and I would like to take this chance to welcome you to the forum family - I am really glad you have joined the discussion here tonight

Dec

Thankyou @Teej  ❤️

Journal writing helps me, as an emotional outlet @Lauz 

When I'm feeling overwhelmed, or misunderstood (& not acknowledged).

No one gets to hear it, or to read what I write - it still does help.

Adge

Me too welcome @Fracturedlight  ❤️

I try to distract and self soothe when I get impacted by stigma and discuss it in my next therapy session. As I mentioned before it increases my feeling of worthlessness and then my suicidal thoughts. I find dealing with stigma paralysing especially when I’m unwell. And I find it so unfair. I have complex ptsd from childhood and I needed love and support then which I didn’t get and when it happens with stigma now I feel so much shame and guilt for something I didn’t cause, but I can’t help feeling like that.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance