Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Why do therapist always want to add another diagnosis

I am so over every time I start with a new therapist they get a few sessions in and start trying to add another diagnosis.

I have already been officially diagnosed with generalised anxiety, social anxiety, panic disorder, depression, CPTSD, and DID.

now I have been seeing a new therapist for 5 sessions in the 3rd session they stated that they think I should go through a clinical psychologist/psychiatrist, and have them do a diagnosis screening thingy for bipolar, borderline personality and some type of schizophrenia disorder thing my last 2 sessions with her has been her trying to get me to agree to see one

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Why do therapist always want to add another diagnosis

Just thought I would quickly add there is a couple of diagnosises that I already have that she thinks are wrong too

No wonder you are frustrated @Former-Member .  Its a lot to try to manage and process. 

I found it very confronting to be diagnosed with 1 condition, I think it at the time of my episode it was probably accurate but, I'm not so sure about it now.  I think part of the reason they want to add things is to feel like they are accomplishing something and feel like they are helping you.  I wasn't even informed of what I had untill I was discharged.

Also if something happens to/with you it makes them look better on the paper trail.  I find it annoying that they try and push medications when they don't really understand how it can effect people.  In my case I feel it created bigger problems than what it solved.  I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, 1.5 years ago.  I think it's a fairly 'easy' thing to label anyone that has a breakdown or episode with.

I would be very apprehensive about doing further tests.  I find it very hard to trust people in the medical profession. 

I'm sorry I haven't really helped, I wish I knew what to suggest or what you could do.  I would just take things slowly and also seek other opinions if you feel comfortable in doing that.  

It's all good @Gazza75 , to be honest the diagnosises I have I feel confident in that they are what I have because the professional that gave me those diagnosises worked with me for 2 years before diagnosis and another year after. But every professional I have seen since wants to change or add something. 

I'm not letting a schizophrenia diagnosis anywhere near me as I get away with refusing meds now but I know from what my nan experienced once you get that diagnosis they hospitalise you if you refuse meds

@Former-Member:)Heart

I am glad that you know your boundaries and good on you for refusing meds.  I think its a very wise thing to do. 

Like I said earlier I think they mainly do it to justify their existence and also to keep getting those big pay checks.  I know some of them genuinely want to help, like the person that did your diagnosis over 2 years.  Thats a big difference to 3 sessions like what is happening now.

Stick to your guns and your intuition.  Try not to get to frustrated about it.  The system is pretty shoddy and uncaring.

Hi BabyDragon

I agree with everyones opinions. A second opinion would be sought.

My experience is a little different.

I was originally diagnosed with Bipolar by my psychiatrist, some 8 years ago. My brother has bipolar and his symptoms and behaviours are a far cry from mine. But who am i to question a psychiatrist.

We spent the next four years having regular appointments. We discussed many things in those four years excepting my childhood...I never brought it up and he never asked me anything. I was benefiting in a lot of ways with his counselling, but i always felt something was missing.

About 3 and half years ago i sat and wrote about my childhood and life since, and this made me want to bring it up at the next appointment, but I didn't really want to talk about it. So i i typed up what i had written and rang his secretary to book an hour long session. Thankfully they did this for me.

I went in to his room, said a quick hello and handed him the document. It probably took him about 25/30 minutes to read it. The first thing he said to me was "I owe you an apology, i beleive i have misdiagnosed you. I believe you have COMPLEX PTSD and we spent the rest of the session discussing the symptoms and problems associated with CPTSD. I hadn't felt so comfortable for over 4 years. I went home and did some research on CPTSD and word described me to a tee. The relief was amazing! I felt validated.

Since then i have improved beyond measure, And he had to do a bit of tweeking with my meds also. I have since been a new woman!

At the end of the day my psychiatrist got it wrong... way wrong. Thankfully he was honest about it. But it proves they can get it wrong.

Go with your what your gut tells you BabyDragon!

Let us know what you decide to do.

CKS

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance