Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jo
Senior Contributor

Needing Ideas

A friend wants to make a documentary on Mental Illness with the aim of replacing fear, ignorance and stigma  in our society with more understanding, knowledge and compassion.
From your experience, what angle would you suggest the director/producer take to make this film different from previous documentaries made on this subject?
What issues do you feel are most important?
What elements would you personally like to be featured?
I suggested more education within the school system and also within the police force.
Your ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.  

14 REPLIES 14
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Needing Ideas

Hi,

I think what is really difficult is having the are you okay conversation especially if someone has no insight into their own conditions so maybe this would be a good area to explore.

Also I think there not enough positive stuff about recovery and management.

Sky
Senior Contributor

Hi @Jo,

What a great idea!

There were many simliar projects in the past that took different angles and topics. Have you tried to do a search on YouTube? You would be able to see lots of examples from all over the world 🙂

Best wishes and good luck with the project!

Hi @Jo

It sounds like a really interesting project. I just thought I'd tag some other carers who might not have seen the post and may have some thoughts on the topic: @Faith-and-Hope, @Shaz51@Janna, @MIFANTCARER, @querentxyz, @Attahua

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Oh WOW.  My wish for mental health, and all its variations on "normality",is to be portrayed as being something that encompasses the human spirit.  After dealing with mental health issues, both personally and through my children, I feel that they need to be portrayed as being an "acceptable" variation of the human condition.  i believe that we really need to question what actually makes behaviour abnormal....  what is abnormal?  What I beieve is important is for society to accept that humans operate/function differentty and that we are diverse ... as oppposed to being abnormal if we do not operate or function within commonly held parameters of behaviour.  IMO emotions are the key and if we can build on a system that encorportes the open expression of feeling without judgement then we'll be on to a winner.   Get your friend to take it from there.   The open acknwledgement and acceptance of human emotions in all its variation.

Janna ❤️

Thanks so much for the suggestion, Janna. So true, I  might add ! Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Thanks Sky. Will go and have a look at YouTube now. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks so much for the idea.

Yes, I agree. It seems to be a very common problem. Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Janna
I really really like your post. I totally agree that the idea of "normal" is not diverse. We need the social to adjust for the diversity.
Thanks reading your post has cheered my day.
Cheers
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance