Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

mouse1
Casual Contributor

Re: Bondi

yes, you are right. My son had interaction with police years ago and I was told then by police that my son was either mad or bad and will inevitably be on the revolving door of going in and out of goal. At the time I replied that it was not going to happen because he was neither, just unwell and that he needed a diagnosis and support. Fortunately by sheer force of will we made it through the nightmare that it was and he now lives in care with medical support.

Community expectations remain the same however, of what normal behavior looks like and can often determine the outcomes in community interactions.

Its like rolling the dice with your life.

Re: Thoughts for Sydney

Thanks @George_23
Will keep that in mind next time
mouse1
Casual Contributor

Thank you Jinx,
I'm getting on in years and have developed a bit of resilience but it is an ongoing struggle. I often wonder how he will cope without family when I'm gone. I will give consideration to your proposal Thanks again.

Unfortunately @mouse1 there is still widespread ignorance in many circles about mental health. The misinformed judgement from those that labelled your son 'mad or bad' is an example of this. There is still a lot of education needed to both be able to help and support people just like your son. I can see you have done everything possible to support your son and the outcome has been a positive one for him. I do know that does not take away the worry and concern for him nor the concern that he may one day again be faced with negative perceptions or those ill equipped to deal with his illness. We can all hope that those on the frontline, with archaic views, can be further educated on how to deal with someone with a mental illness. The system (overall) has a long way to go but there is hope.

mouse1
Casual Contributor

Thanks so much Zoe7

@mouse1 As a mum myself with a now adult son with mental health issues, I think we all worry as our children get older and the potential for interaction with police, that we may not be their to advocate for them in matters especially when dealing with mental health episodes. Like you it too is one of my biggest fears.

I do strongly feel police need to do training in other ways to interact with those who have mental health conditions, which in some situations can actually esculate a situation to greater harm rather than have been de-esculated with minimal risk to all those involved if they had actual knowledge/skill development in these types of areas regularly through out their careers.

In some states I will acknowledge, police actually do training in Autistic behaviours and how to recognise them and what approach to take to someone, at that person's level.  No different how they would treat a young child, elderly person or someone with Dementia.

I also would like to acknowledge, the Bondi incident had already esculated far beyond a level where police had to take further action to prevent more casualties. And each incident needs to be treated on a case by case basis.

I would love to see major change and funding for more services from the government as an outcome to the inquiry that will happen from the Bondi incident but it won't help those with families and friends or those who identify with living a schizophrenic condition but will further drive stigmas around those who do unfortunately.

One person's actions should not tarnish those in the community with the same brush nor fear to those who acknowledge their diagnosis from bias by those who do not have mental health conditions.

mouse1
Casual Contributor

I would like to see a campaign to encourage awareness in the community.

I don't have experience in fundraising or running campaigns but I think it would help to raise the awareness in the community,of all the good work that mental health staff do including all the residential staff, of whom there must be thousands across the country, who work to support people who are neuro diverse or are struggling with challenging behaviours due to cognitive limitations.

A campaign might shine a light on the important work they are able to do. It appears to me that generally speaking, not much is known about the impact these conditions have on families and the community or how families navigate the health system to get assistance for their loved ones.  

It was difficult to see how distressed the parents were when they lost their son in those circumstances including the families of the people who lost their lives. It could have been prevented if systems to follow up people were in place, who instead get lost or forgotten.

mouse1
Casual Contributor

Also, I don't think mental health training for police is adequate.  From my own experience it appears police attempt to control by neutralising people instead of de escalating situations involving people experiencing psychosis, which inevitably causes more trauma and harm. [edited by moderator]

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance