Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Managing expectations on ourselves about work

The meeting with HR went really well @FigBell0917 - actually better than expected. She was so supportive, answered all my questions and said I am a priority to be placed for next year as early as possible in term 4. That means I will know where I am going next year before the end of the year (and hopefully within the first half of this next term). So that was really posiitive. She is going to try to find somewhere close but it is just as important to me that it is a supportive school like the one I am in now - it makes such a difference when you have lovely staff around you. I also discussed my MH with her as she knew I had been unwell but did not know the extent of it. She was so supportive and actually praised me for taking the time I needed to get better. She also agreed that it is important I am back on class next year and that will be the placement she finds for me. All in all it was not only a productive and informative meeting but also I felt I had her full support. I can contact her anytime and actually feel comfortable doing that. She was as lovely as I had heard she was and not only made me feel at ease but answered all my questions. So it was not just a worthwhile meeting but one that was extremely positive.

As for MH in schools - there is certainly a much bigger push to identify and address MH with the kids but there certainly still is some stigma related to MI in staff. Whilst MH is seen as an important component of everyone's (employees) life it is rare to find it so prominent in the culture of schools like it is in the school I am in now. Everyone looks out for each other and continually asks how you are - and genuinely wants to know the answer. It is a great place to work. There are a few people that know a little about my history (but not much) - they know I have been struggling for sometime with depression/anxiety and have constant appointments after school. There have been a couple of times I have had to leave a little earlier and that has been happily covered. Even the Principal comes in late one morning a week so he can take his kids to school - so there is some flexibility around work times when it can be arranged (and it is always sorted in some way). That makes it so much easier to keep up with appointments and less stress to have to do so. Having that outside support is actually respected and encouraged ...a work-life balance is also - so a very forward-thinking and positive environment/culture all around.

I hope there will be a lot of positive consequences to come out of the Royal Commission @FigBell0917 Much like here in Tassie there are so many areas that need a good shake up. The services that are available are completely overwhelmed and under staffed and there is very little use in including MH in policy or programs if there is not the services to help implement them. Like much of what the government does there is no forward thinking into services needed and those available either become overwhelmed or people are left without the support needed because they cannot accesss those services. It is a continual failure in our society that resources are not directed into the actual services but so much money is spent on researching what is needed and forming working parties to do so. If that money was directed straight to the services that already exxist then a lot more people would be supported - that is the government for you though ...be seen to be doing something rther than actually doing it!

Hi @Zoe7 – How are you today?

I am so glad to read that the meeting went well with HR for you. That is a positive step in the right direction and hopefully eased any anxiety you had about it as you have mentioned. My fingers are crossed for you that she can help you find a supportive school in a great environment. I think it is even better that you feel comfortable in reaching out to her if you need to, it makes such a difference having a support such as that.

The school you are at seems wonderful in terms of mental health sometimes all it takes is to ask how are you to get someone talking or to make their day. I really hope that in the future these environments are established more broadly and that staff have a more open mind when it comes to mental health. It could always be a generational thing not that, that is an excuse but I think people always need to be mindful that we do not know what goes on behind closed doors.

I really hope there will be positive consequences/results too from the Commission. I have actually applied for a role in the Commission, unsure if I will get it but I would like to contribute to making changes in the field of mental health. As you mentioned services are overwhelmed and understaffed. I am not sure about TAS but in VIC from my experience is it seems you need to have private health etc to get the immediate help through programs which is not always feasible for some.

Here is hoping something changes!

The public system in Tassie is much the same as in Vic @FigBell0917 - under resourced, inadequate and too many people slip through the system without the care needed. There are not enough beds in the public system to support needs and our emergency department are overwhelmed and understaffed. There is also a very long wait list in the private sector and it is extremely expensive for those not covered under their health insurance. Unfortunately the whole system here is very broken. The government continues to say they are increasing the beds available in the future but that time-frame also continues to put on hold.  There are also not enough beds in emergency with amulances being ramped regularly for extended periods of time. This is not acceptable for anyone concerned.

I agree with you that the school I am at and the way they treat people is rare but it is nice to know that those workplaces do exist and I can only hope that I am placed in a  similar school with the same type of culture and care for both staff and students. I am actually having the day off today after some sad news yesterday - and the Principal was more than happy to let me stay home today ...and moreso he told me to take care of myself ...no questions asked just real concern that I was going through stuff I needed time to deal with.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance