Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

JS1
New Contributor

Coping with my sisters mental illness

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum, I thought I’d try something different. I’ve been struggling to cope with managing my sisters mental illness. She has no formal diagnosis, however has experienced 4 severe psychotic episodes requiring hospitalisation over the past few years and it swings between bipolar and anxiety/depression. It’s been such an emotional journey and I would love to hear from others who have any advice on coping strategies. 

I feel guilty that I even feel the need for support, as I’ve been so focused on supporting my sister through her journey and trying to get her better every time she relapses. I’m beginning to realise now that I have been neglecting myself and it is okay sometimes to have boundaries to try and maintain a normal life. 

I would love any helpful tips or advice. 😊

TIA. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Coping with my sisters mental illness

Hello @JS1 

Yes, self care is necessary in order for us to be able to continue to care otherwise we just get burnt out. 

I will tag you in a discussion thread about this.

What things have you been neglecting that you might be able to work on?

Re: Coping with my sisters mental illness

How are things at the moment @JS1 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance