Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Coping Box

Hi @Adge  I have lived in a similar situation with bad neighbours so I'm feeling you on that one.  I used to spend 99% of my time locked in and frequently vigilant, checking windows etc.  Drug dealers on one side and DV on the other.  I lived like that for 11 years.  I was so afraid of change that I was really stuck there.  Thank goodness that has changed (nearly 3 years ago).  It's not until you get out that you can really see how much you needed to.  Or at least that's how it was for me.  Have you researched any possibilities to move elsewhere?  It was incredibly hard to do it, to make the leap, but I've thrived and not just survived since moving.  

Sending warmest wishes and picturing you sitting out with your birds - maybe there's a time of day when the others are quiet - like around dawn?  I used to get up that early just to have some quiet time when I felt a bit safer.

That's a good idea @eth I'm trying to spend more time outside, when the people are quiet.

Otherwise I do feel like a prisoner (inside).

I've been here 17 years, there was a time when it wasn't as bad.

I cannot really afford to move anywhere else, this is about the poorest suburb in my city.

Plus I was here first, long before those noisy people.

So it's difficult.

2 baby Java finches have just come out of the nest (this afternoon), bouncing on aviary floor.

There are 2 more to come out soon, I think.

Adge

Hi Tinsel
Yes it is hard somedays, having quiet is a solace, sometimes to cry quiet tears. Thank goodness for the better days inbetween. Much love

Hi @Adge  I can relate how everything seems louder when someone is gone from your life.  My ex partner and i split ten years ago and i notice a lot more about my neighbours than i used to. I find going into the smallest room in the house the same.  My neighbours fight and swear at each other.  Like you i used to take pride in gardening but cant seem to drag myself outside and the trouble is when i do its a jungle.  So to combat that i have organised someone to give the garden a tidy as a present to myself.  Maybe creating a space and creating a new focus may help.  I dont have birds but i have a dog who needs my attention so i am trying everyday to create more time to do that.  It is good for both of us, baby steps.

Hi @LadyCaroline Yes your experience sounds like we have much in common.

My marriage ended 9 years ago.

I have never fully felt "at home in my own space" since then.

I have some help with gardening (or did have).

That will end soon, because it was a subsidised service (even though I paid $24 each time).

The NDIS has directly caused those state-based services to be discontinued (cancelled).

Adge

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi all, I'm not doing good at the moment and it was suggested to come to this thread

hello @MaddieCat 

this thread might be helpful 

@Former-Member, @Crazy_Bug_Lady@Adge@LadyCaroline@eth 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance