Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Budgeting Page

well I have an appt in 6 weeks time to get crowns started  @SmilingGecko  yes, savings can add up. am off to get rigged up w sleep thing soon lol stupid, have to drive home with it on

Ah thats just no good @TAB I understand how you must feel. I keep waking up each night to go for a pee and nothing has stopped it. Tried all kinds of supps. Nothing seemed to work. Ageing. I may go and check Aldis almond milk, it would save me quite a bit each week. Its filtered water with almonds and calcium. Not too bad. But it did say it was a lower percentage of almonds in it, it makes you wonder if Mr Aldi is just selling water! lol Will check labels on my other almond milks from Woolies to compare. Aldi never used to sell filtered water milks before. Will go to Aldi tomorrow and have a look

@SmilingGecko @TAB 

I use only dove soap too. I buy a bunch when I see it for 99 cents. I used to just get it for hospital but I love it so I treat myself now. The reject shop usually has it.

You are doing a great job with your savings so far @SmilingGecko 

Meggle

Thanks @Oaktree I'm having the lawnmower man only once a month now to cut down on costs. I haven't been able to mow my lawn in the past due to fatigue and other health issues. Don't own a lawnmower and no garage to put it in either. Yes have been reigning in the budget since last year. Just paid off my fridge recently. Am certainly wondering about my electricity bill which is due any time now. Wondering if I get any money back with excess power being fed into the grid??? I have an energy tracker app on my phone which is connected via bluetooth to my smart meter has been good for keeping power costs down in real time but aircon at night has been bringing it up a bit.  Just been doing some cooking today using up leftover vegetables. Made a cucumber dip for lunch to use up cucumbers and am now baking a carrot/zucchini/quinoa slice which I will have chilled for dinner and lunch tomorrow. I have quinoa that was going to waste so its gone in the slice. Very happy with my efforts today...

That’s great @SmilingGecko 

Great that you paid your fridge off already! I made a lovely zucchini slice last week with Zucchini’s fresh out of my garden. Jay5 gave me the recipe 

6 eggs, whisked with a dash of milk, 1/4 cup flour (whisk all together).

In pan place grated zucchini 1-2, handful grated cheese and cut up bacon (3 rashers) I put a tiny bit of fresh garlic and salt and pepper in with the egg. Mix up the zucchini, cheese and bacon then pour egg mix over top. Place a bit of cheese on top. Bake in 180 degree oven about 40 mins or until golden. Tell you what, it was delicious. Jay5 said to use garlic and onion powder but I didn’t have any. I reckon you could change this recipe to suit your tastes. Throw in other veggies etc

Meggle

@Oaktree I do a zucchini slice recipe but its called mini zucchini loaves! I cant eat flour in your recipe unfortunately due to gluten intolerance and I've tried gluten free flours but they are not good for diabetics. I put in a cup of cooked quinoa in it instead of flour and throw in carrots as well as zucchini plus eggs and vegan cheese. I bake it each week. Have some chilled for the next day or freeze it and then just reheat in my oven with foil wrapped around it so none goes to waste

Today I blitzed a whole head of cauliflower in food processor until it resembled "rice pieces" and have put it in zip lock bags to freeze. It was what was leftover in my crisper. Its enough for five meals so won't be buying cauliflower for quite a while. I can use it as a low carb rice substitute you just cook it as you would rice. No food waste. You end up saving money by not having to buy cauliflower each week.  I'm just doing a fridge audit today before the farmer comes on Sunday

Zucchini mini loafZucchini mini loafBlitzed ready to go cauliflower rice for freezer storageBlitzed ready to go cauliflower rice for freezer storage

THIS IS GOING TO MAKE YOU SMILE: DENTAL PLANS NOW IN AUSTRALIA

@Oaktree @TAB @StuF @Glisten @Shaz51 @Dimity @saturnzoon @tonys 

I am investigating dental plans. Suze Orman a financial advisor who used to appear on Oprah when she was on TV recently saved $800 on a root canal by having what is called a "dental plan" in her country of residence

Did some quick research - HOORAH! They have dental plans in Australia! Am investigating it some more but they have to be participating dentists that are enrolled in these dental plans.

She pays an annual fee of around $180 to be enrolled don't know how much the outlay is here.  Its not anything like insurance however 

Rather, dentists who accept the plan, agree to charge a discounted rate for care.

According to Suze, "patients with a dental savings plan get that discounted rate, without any deductible and no waiting period. Because this is not insurance there are no claims to file or claim denials to fight."

You pay the reduced bill at the time of service.

I have dental insurance, but I'm going to check out a dental savings plan as most dental insurance coverage is very limited. Your annual coverage may be limited to just $1,000 or $1,500 or so. Which is not going to be enough if you need some serious work.

Her advice is to carefully review the specific coverage limits and deductibles on your existing dental insurance.

She said she thinks many of us will be surprised at how limited it is. That’s where enrolling in a dental savings plan can make so much sense she said.

If you have a dentist you love, check in with the office to see if they have a particular dental plan(s) they accept if you are worried about increasing dental costs 

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 11.52.03 am.png

Thankyou for posting and tagging me  @SmilingGecko .  Invaluable.  You always bring something good to the table.   I hope to hear the revelations of your further investigations.  There is just no escaping 

the taxman  and the dentist.   Hope you are well   SG..                                                       thanks again.

tonys..

@tonys I know it all gets a bit much. Spoke to someone else today who was even gainfully employed and still feeling the financial pinch. I sensed she was really struggling to stay afloat. 

I needed to explore some dental options today as my current dentist was too far away and did not offer flexible financial payments other than 4 fortnightly afterpay payments

Anyway the the website I found for dental plans here in Australia is http://www.smile.com.au They are $79/year and you might be able to combine it with your existing insurance to have more money off your dental bill. You can see all of this on their website. Its worth seeing how much you can save - it runs into the hundreds

There is another one called http://www.affordabledentalplan.com.au. But they only have certain  dentist clinics as part of a dental group listed with their registry.  It seems to be somewhat limited but they are in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth

Smile.com.au seems to have dentists all over the country. They have an interractive map on their website. They have received lots of reviews on an independent  review website in addition to reviews on Facebook

There are other options like pay as you go which you can discuss with your dental clinic.

I've been able to find a more local biologic dentist with pay as you go. I have health problems and conventional dentistry is contraindicated in my case but have found something financially flexible with a payment plan so I'm not slugged with a heavy upfront bill

@SmilingGecko  - now I’m hungry 🤣

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance